I started doing aerobics with my mother at 6am in my leotard and matching headband from when I could stand on my own. I loved it!
But the bigger reason I love exercise is how it makes me feel about my body.
Don’t get me wrong I still stare in the mirror with a screw face from time to time but it’s more about how it makes me feel. Strong, capable and FIT!
And so the other day I was doing a consultation at the gym for a new member.
Everyone who joins gets a free consultation with a trainer.
In all honesty, this is really for the trainer to sell their services. I knew going into this consult, that the member wouldn't be able to afford training from pre-reading her file. We are supposed to just give them the basics.
But when I read in her file that she could never consistently go to the gym because she hated it. It actually hurt my heart. It was like overhearing someone saying mean things about your best friend that you knew just weren’t true. (I know I’m being dramatic, but it’s how I felt)
So, I made it my mission for this 1 hr session was to change her mind about exercise. And inevitably… Change Her Life (super hero stance!)
So I went through the usual assessment process that I do with someone who IS going to be a client, seeing what she wanted to accomplish and where her strengths were and then I showed her how all the machines work, all along throwing in tidbits (I'll go into detail more at the end) of how to make exercise a little easier and more enjoyable.
By the end of the hour I asked if she had any questions, and she thanked me for all the help, because for the first time she was actually excited to come back and start her program.
She had never felt this way about the gym before.
Before the machines had been intimidating because she didn't really know what to do and had never had anyone take the time to show her thoroughly!
I was so proud and so happy for her and really excited for her to start the journey towards her fitness goals.
So here are my 5 tips to help you fall in love with the gym!
1. For cardio, try every machine: you never know what you are going to like so each time you go, try a different one. And keep mixing it up, the more you vary your routine the more likely you are to improve the speed of your metabolism.
2. Entertain your brain: the main reason most people can't keep working out is because they get bored. You can avoid this by changing your routine often. For cardio, try changing your speed every 2-3 minutes manually so you are engaged. And with weights, try changing the angle or the speed of a similar exercise to work a different part of the same muscle.
3. Get a proper consultation: it's always funny to me that people think that just by joining a gym or making the decision to exercise they are just going to know what to do and magically the weight will just fall off!!
Most of my clients hired me because they understand it’s not that simple. And once you know what you’re doing it becomes easier. Most people in general don’t have the motivation to do, what their trainers get them to do on their own. And it’s my JOB to know what to do, so of course we (trainers) are usually going to know a lot of variations and give you the best workout.
4. Learn your body: once you are more in tune with your body, it will become easier to meet your goals. That is the major difference between being a personal trainer and a wellness coach. As a wellness coach I teach you the skills for you to grow and learn as we work towards your goals. And learning your body is probably the hardest but most rewarding lesson in the process. Yoga and Pilates are great for this.
5. Live in the moment: I have a friend that continually reminds me that multi-tasking isn’t possible. And I’m starting to believe him. I almost stopped halfway through a workout because I was thinking about tomorrow's workout. My brain had left the current space and left my body to fend for itself. Your mind and body are a team and if one isn't supporting the other, it's just not going work. Focus on what you are currently doing.
If you are struggling to get yourself into a routine or you’re getting bored with your current routine. Try these tips out.
Need help? You know where to reach me ;-)
What do you love about exercise, find at least one thing and tell me below in the comments!
In health and wellness,