TORONTO, ON - March 24, 2015 - The Black Business and Professional Association (BBPA) today announced the fifteen recipients of the 33rd Annual Harry Jerome Awards presented by the BBPA and RBC Royal Bank. The BBPA celebrates 33 years of recognizing excellence within the African-Canadian community on April 25th, 2015.
The BBPA Harry Jerome Awards is recognized as the most prestigious national awards gala in the African-Canadian community and a coveted symbol of achievement. This year's winners receive awards in the following categories: Academics, Athletics, Media, Entertainment, Community Service, Health Sciences, Leadership, Lifetime Achievement, Young Entrepreneurs, Professional Excellence, Public Advocacy, Youth Advocacy, Diversity, Social Engagement and the President's Award.
"We're proud to be the presenting sponsor of the Harry Jerome Awards for the twelfth year in a row," said RBC Royal Bank Regional Vice President Pennie Santiago. "We congratulate this year's winners, including RBC’s own Mark Beckles, and the BBPA for their exemplary roles in helping to build a stronger community and setting an example for generations to come."
"We are very excited to celebrate our 33rd Anniversary and welcome back RBC Royal Bank as the Presenting Sponsor," said BBPA President Pauline Christian. "The BBPA has been fortunate to continue to attract world-class honourees, and we hope to inspire our community as we follow our theme for this year's event, 'Excellence…The Journey to Success.'"
"I am honoured to receive the Harry Jerome Athletic Award this year. I look to excel on and off the court every day for myself, my community and my country. Thank you to the BBPA”, Cory Joseph, Canadian NBA Player and 2014 NBA Champion.
The BBPA is proud to honour and celebrate the following award winners:
• Edmond Nankam Dzokou – Academics (Sponsor – Jamaica National)
• Cory Joseph – Athletics (Sponsor - BBPA)
• Wendy Jones – Entertainment (Sponsor – G98.7FM)
• Nneka Elliott – Media (Sponsor – BBPA)
• Dr. Wanda Thomas-Bernard – Community Service (Sponsor – RBC Royal Bank)
• Dr. Carrol Althea Pitters – Health Sciences (Sponsor – Sterling Dental)
• Jelani Smith – Leadership (Sponsor – Scotiabank)
• Mark Beckles – Professional Excellence (Sponsor – Nursing Homemakers Inc )
• Tamar Huggins – Young Entrepreneur (Sponsor – Bell)
• Archie Alleyne - Lifetime Achievement (Sponsor – TD)
• Scott Mullin – Diversity (Sponsor – Ontario Government)
• Masai Ujiri – President (Sponsor – BMO)
• Gerry McNeilly – Public Advocacy (Sponsor – IBM)
• Kareena Elliston – Youth Advocacy (Sponsor – BBPA)
• Deputy Chief Rudolph Andrew Crawford – Social Engagement (Sponsor – BBPA)
Keynote speaker for the 33rd Harry Jerome Awards is Rich Castillo, A&R Director Universal Music Canada, responsible for music management, publishing and primarily A&R. Entertainment for the night includes International Recording Artists, The Savoy Ellington's, Heirs to the Jazz Throne, USA.
The 33rd Annual BBPA Harry Jerome Awards will be held on Saturday, April 25th, 2015 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, South Building, 222 Bremner Blvd., Toronto. Tickets for the Harry Jerome Awards are $200. To place an order, please call 416-504-4097 or online at http://bbpa.org/shopbbpa/shop/ or visit the Centre of Excellence, located at 180 Elm Street, Toronto, between the hours of 10-4pm Monday to Friday.
About the Black Business and Professional Association (BBPA):
Founded in 1983, the BBPA is a charitable organization whose mission is to advance Canada's Black community by facilitating the delivery of programs that support business and professional excellence, higher education and economic development. The BBPA presents the Annual Harry Jerome Awards, the BBPA National Scholarships and the National Black Business and Professional Convention (NBBPC).