ByBlacks.com, Inc. understands that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your personal data is used. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits this website, ByBlacks.com (“Our Site”) and will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a way that is consistent with our obligations and your rights under the law.
Information About Us
Our Site is owned and operated by ByBlacks.com Inc., a private corporation registered in Ontario, Canada under company number 808543193.
What Does This Policy Cover?
What is Personal Data?
Personal data is defined by the General Data Protection Regulation (EU Regulation 2016/679) (the “GDPR”) as ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier’.
Personal data is, in simpler terms, any information about you that enables you to be identified. Personal data covers obvious information such as your name and contact details, but it also covers less obvious information such as identification numbers, electronic location data, and other online identifiers.
What Are My Rights?
Under the GDPR, you have the following rights, which we will always work to uphold:
The right to access the personal data we hold about you. Part 11 will tell you how to do this.
The right to have your personal data rectified if any of your personal data held by us is inaccurate or incomplete. Please contact us using the details in Part 12 to find out more.
The right to be forgotten, i.e. the right to ask us to delete or otherwise dispose of any of your personal data that we have. Please contact us using the details in Part 12 to find out more.
The right to restrict (i.e. prevent) the processing of your personal data.
The right to object to us using your personal data for a particular purpose or purposes.
The right to data portability. This means that, if you have provided personal data to us directly, we am using it with your consent or for the performance of a contract, and that data is processed using automated means, you can ask us for a copy of that personal data to re-use with another service or business in many cases.
Rights relating to automated decision-making and profiling. We do not use your personal data in this way.
For more information about our use of your personal data or exercising your rights as outlined above, please contact us using the details provided in Part 12.
Further information about your rights can also be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
If you have any cause for complaint about our use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
What Data Do You Collect?
Depending upon your use of Our Site, we may collect some or all of the following personal and non-personal data:
Date of birth;
Information about your preferences and interests;
Web browser type and version;
A list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on Our Site, and the site you exit to;
How Do You Use My Personal Data?
Under the GDPR, we must always have a lawful basis for using personal data. This may be because the data is necessary for our performance of a contract with you, because you have consented to our use of your personal data, or because it is in our legitimate business interests to use it. Your personal data may be used for one of the following purposes:
- Supplying our services to you. Your personal details are required in order for us to enter into a contract with you.
- Personalising and tailoring our services for you.
- Communicating with you. This may include responding to emails or calls from you.
- Supplying you with information by email that you have opted-in to (you may unsubscribe or opt-out at any time by deleting their account or pressing the unsubscribe link at the bottom of all communications).
- With your permission and/or where permitted by law, we may also use your personal data for marketing purposes, which may include contacting you by email with information, news, and offers on our services. You will not be sent any unlawful marketing or spam. We will always work to fully protect your rights and comply with our obligations under the GDPR and the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, and you will always have the opportunity to opt-out.
How Long Will You Keep My Personal Data?
We will not keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. Your personal data will, therefore, be kept for the following periods (or, where there is no fixed period, the following factors will be used to determine how long it is kept):
- Your data is kept so long as you have an account with byblacks.com. If you delete your account all personal information shall be deleted from our systems within 6 months.
- How and Where Do You Store or Transfer My Personal Data?
- We may store or transfer some or all of your personal data in countries that are not part of the European Economic Area (the “EEA” consists of all EU member states, plus Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein). These are known as “third countries” and may not have data protection laws that are as strong as those in the UK and/or the EEA. This means that we will take additional steps in order to ensure that your personal data is treated just as safely and securely as it would be under the GDPR.
Do You Share My Personal Data?
We will not share any of your personal data with any third parties for any purposes, subject to one important exception.
In some limited circumstances, we may be legally required to share certain personal data, which might include yours, if we are involved in legal proceedings or complying with legal obligations, a court order, or the instructions of a government authority.
Can I Withhold Information?
You may access certain areas of Our Site without providing any personal data at all. However, to use all features and functions available on Our Site you may be required to submit or allow for the collection of certain data.
How Can I Access My Personal Data?
If you want to know what personal data we have about you, you can ask us for details of that personal data and for a copy of it (where any such personal data is held). This is known as a “subject access request”.
All subject access requests should be made in writing and sent to the email addresses shown in Part 12.
There is not normally any charge for a subject access request. If your request is ‘manifestly unfounded or excessive’ (for example, if you make repetitive requests) a fee may be charged to cover our administrative costs in responding.
We will respond to your subject access request within 30 days and, in any case, not more than one month of receiving it. Normally, we aim to provide a complete response, including a copy of your personal data within that time. In some cases, however, particularly if your request is more complex, more time may be required up to a maximum of three months from the date we receive your request. You will be kept fully informed of our progress.
How Do I Contact You?
To contact us about anything to do with your personal data and data protection, including to make a subject access request, please use the following details (for the attention of Data Protection Officer)
Email address: info (at) byblacks.com.
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. This may be necessary, for example, if the law changes, or if we change our business in a way that affects personal data protection.
Data Deletion Policy
In order to keep ByBlacks.com as fast as possible and provide the most optimal user experience, we periodically delete files that are no longer required, or where info is out of date.
Below are our guidelines on the different types of data that we delete:
- Banner ad campaigns - ad campaign info is retained on our system for a maximum period of one year after the end of the campaign. Clients are able to log in to the advertising admin console and view their ad performance for impressions, clicks, and click-through rates.
- Newsletters - we delete newsletter campaigns after three months. Clients requiring stats on the open rates can request that info from our sales team one week following the last e-blast.
- Directory Listings - We only delete business listings where we have discovered the business has closed, website/social media accounts are no longer valid, or we determine that the business is not Black-owned.
If you have any questions about our Data Deletion Policy, please use the site's contact form to get in touch with our Tech Support department.
Terms and Conditions for Website Usage
2. If you disagree with any part of these terms and conditions, please do not use our website.
3. The term 'ByBlacks.com' or 'us' or 'we' refers to the owner of the website.
4. The term 'you' refers to the user or viewer of our website.
a. The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
b. Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
c. Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
d. This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
e. All trademarks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator is acknowledged on the website.
f. Unauthorized use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
g. From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
h. Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of Canada and the Province of Ontario.
The views of the Black Canadian contributors are their own and do not reflect the views of the Publisher, Editor or administrative team for ByBlacks.com.